We’ve often heard or even used this slogan KISS (keep it simple, stupid) in the creative industry. But if you’re being honest, you’ll agree that it’s very difficult to be succinct, and it’s especially challenging to express a complex emotional concept in just a couple of words — which is exactly what a tagline does. Therefore, at Covate Solutions, we respect brands that have done the art of writing taglines well- the ones that have perfected the art of expressing their value proposition in just a phrase or two.
What Is a Tagline?
In business, the term tagline is often interchanged with slogan. A Tagline is ‘‘a short and striking or memorable phrase used in advertising.’’ It can also be seen as “a catchphrase or group of words that are combined in a distinct way to identify a product or company.”
In more ways than one, slogans are like tiny-mission statements.
Establishments have taglines or slogans for the same reason they have logos: Advertising.
While logos are visual representations of a brand, slogans are audible representations of the same. Both elements are meant to grab consumers’ attention more readily than the name of a company or product(s) might.
Why is it Important to have a Tagline?
Put simply, the goal of any company is to leave a key message in the minds of the consumers so that if they remember nothing else about the brand, they’ll remember the slogan.
Qualities of a Great Tagline
According to yourbusiness.azcentral.com a great slogan has most or all of the following characteristics:
- It should Differentiate the Brand: What is it about your product/service or brand that sets it apart from competitors? Put those features out there in your slogan.
- It should be Memorable: People remember the slogans that relate to their lives and have meaning. So, is the slogan quickly recognizable? Will it leave a lasting impression on people?
- It should Impart Positive Feelings about the Brand: In our opinion, the best taglines are the ones that use words that are positive and upbeat. So if you’re looking to get a little slogan inspiration of your own, try a little positivity.
- It should include a Key Benefit: Have you ever heard this marketing phrase, “Sell the sizzle, not the steak“? It simply means sell the benefits of your products and not the features – which applies perfectly to slogans. A good slogan makes a company’s or product’s benefits clear to the audience.
- It should be Humorous: A company that has a sense of humor and shows it in its advertising is most likely to be remembered than a company that doesn’t. If you can make your slogans humorous, they have a better chance of catching on.
Now that we’ve seen some of the things that make up a good slogan, here are a few of our favorite slogans.
7 Companies with Memorable Slogans
1) Nike – Just Do It
2) Apple – Think Different
3) L’Oréal – Because You’re Worth It
4) Coke – Open happiness.
5) BMW – Designed for Driving Pleasure
6) L’oreal – Because I’m worth it
7) McDonald’s – I’m Lovin’ It
We would love to know what your favorite taglines are. Please leave us a comment.